Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 3 of Orientation

Well I'm 3 days into orientation, it's been a busy and extremely boring week. Mala's health attempted to sabotage my working again by going south on Saturday but luckily mom was here to help, take her to the doctor, and pharmacy twice. Starting Saturday her cough got worse, and she was feverish. Today is day 2 of Zithromax and she's doing much better. Luckily she got better just in time to go to the circus with her daycare today. She's been telling me all evening about the elephants and tigers she saw today.
As for me I'm doing ok, like I said orientation has been really boring. Yesterday I was a bit of an emotional mess...losing a little sleep over Miss Mala's illness, going through my own separation anxiety, and then they started our nursing orientation morning out with a completely heartbreaking video, The Josie King story:
http://www.josieking.org/page.cfm?pageID=10
If you don't know the story, it's about a little girl that after being admitted to the Pediatric ICU for burns ended up dying due to medical errors, as she was healing and getting ready to be discharged. Well we watched the story, told by the baby's mother, to make us aware of the importance of paying attention to family members' concerns.
I had an extremely hard time dealing with this movie and the rest of my day in orientation. I'm sure pregnancy hormones didn't help the situation, but also the idea of this helpless mother having to watch her child die while no one listened to her concerns really took hold of me. I'm still trying to force thoughts of this family out of my head.
I don't know if I would say I recommend folks to watch this because it will haunt you for a very long time. But I do think it is important for people to realize how much they might have to advocate for a loved one if ever in a hospital situation. Medicine is not perfect.
Sorry this post is a bit of a downer. Sometimes things just have to be said.

Otherwise, we are doing ok. Mala as I said earlier is doing much much better. Finally cheerful in this evening rather than quiet and tired. Even a little naughty, which to me means she's feeling good!
I have 1.5 days left of this orientation then I'm off to the O.R. next week. Life is moving fast for us right now and I don't see it slowing down anytime soon.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Glad Mala girl is better and enjoyed the circus. I hope next 1 1/2 days goes fast and you don't have to watch any more emotional videos. One is certainly enough!