jet lagged
making a friend
making a daisy chain bracelet
the town of Luss
Danno!
Lunga House
a little sink for a little tooshie
the flower girl/ring bearer
all dressed up.
The Kumars tearing up the dance floor...as usual.
We got back from Scotland on Friday night and we were all
absolutely worn out. I actually got my
first decent night of sleep last night because the girls schedules are so mixed
up. But let’s start at the beginning…
The trip there went really well, on the flight from
Philly to Glasgow Mala was asleep before the plane took off and slept the
entire flight except when she woke up briefly to tell me she was going to dream
of kit kats and that Jill was really going to like her princess blanket. Meena did great too, slept most of the
flight, nursed the rest of the time. We
were not the crying, seat kicking pains, in the butts that some are. I got zero sleep though because I had Mala’s
head in my lap and was holding Meena.
So we got there on Tuesday, my plan was to hang out with
Jill (with Meena) on her hen day/night and let Mala stay with my parents. When it was time for me to head out for the
boat trip with the girls, Mala started crying.
Not naughty crying that makes you angry, but quiet pathetic crying that
makes you feel rotten, needless to say I did not attend the boat trip. We spent the rest of the day getting to our
hotel, resting, and finally, getting to see our very dear family friends Jo and
Keith Vooght. Anil made it home from
work around 5pm and we were super excited to see him…and I did end up making it
out to a pub for drinks and dinner for the Hen night. Meena in tow.
Picture me nursing, while standing and chatting with some very stylishly
dressed girls in a pub. But I did have a
fantastic evening meeting Jill’s friends and spending some time with her
family. Mala was up when I got home at
midnight, waiting for me (read: the exhaustion begins).
Wednesday was a beautiful day, sunny. We headed to an awesome park, with Jo and
Keith. This park had a really nice
coffee shop right by the playground, so you could actually sit and drink coffee
at a table while your kids played…why do we not have coffee shops in
playgrounds? In the afternoon the girls
and I took on the adventure of taking the train to Jill’s parent’s house for a
pampering party. What?? I rode the train in Scotland, just me and my
two kids…yes I did people. Please feel
free to be proud of me for my ambition.
Not because I rode a train in Scotland, but because it was just me and
the girls.
Thursday was the big bus drive to Lunga House. It ended up being an all day affair. I was really nervous because Meena hates her
car seat, but somehow she miraculously was wonder baby and only a few times let
out a few little fusses. The trip was
crazy, we ended up having to detour off the motorway because of an accident so
we took these winding, hilly, country roads seeing loads of sheep and highland
cows along the way. We stopped 3 times
and I nursed each time to try and keep my little bottomless pit full. Finally that
night we got to the amazing Lunga House.
It was everything I had hoped it would be from the pictures I had seen. I was so worn out when we got there from the
tension of wondering when the little one’s screaming would begin, but the girls
were still on N.C. time so they weren’t nearly ready for bed. I’ll try not to dwell on the fact of how
bummed I was when everyone excitedly decided to head to the pub for drinks, and
there I was…me and my kids. I’m
frequently jealous of childless people for their freedom and sleep, but nothing
quite like the envy I felt that night.
Ok, moving on.
Friday went great, the night before Meena slept 8hrs
straight and went right back to sleep…it’s only fitting she sleeps so well in a
castle. My family was still sleeping
when breakfast was being served so I left Anil with the girls and enjoyed a
peaceful meal with my parents everyone staying in the castle and got to eat my meal with
both hands because I wasn’t juggling two little ladies. Most folks took a day trip, but mom and I
hung back with the girls. We had a nice
pub lunch, then a relaxing afternoon.
Friday night was the rehearsal dinner in the pub, which was delicious,
but I ended up enjoying my meal up in mom and dad’s room above the pub. Both girls were super cranky and just needed
some quiet.
Saturday…the big day.
Another good breakfast then on to Jill’s room with all the other
bridesmaids for primping. Jill gave Mala
this snazzy little pink digital camera that actually takes really nice
pictures. This was perfect for Mala
because she loves taking pictures with our camera. She took tons of pics throughout the rest of
the day. We enjoyed sandwiches and
champagne while getting ourselves all ready for the wedding. Anil headed down to the boy’s room where he
got kilted, I don’t think that’s an actual term, but hearing him describe
putting a kilt on reminds me of when Anil’s family helps me dress in a saree.
Jill stepped out with her mom to get dressed and when she
came back in her gown the waterworks began.
She looked absolutely amazing!
The wedding was really sweet and personal and best of
all, my kids behaved themselves!
The best part of the night for me was the céilidh (pronounced “caley”) dancing. Which is kind of Scottish square dancing, but
with more spinning and more fun. The
music gets faster and faster throughout the song causing the dancing to get
crazier and crazier. It was a blast. Mala loved it too and would have participated
more if I’d let her. I was terrified she
was going to get trampled due to the craziness of the dancing, the alcohol
consumption of everyone, and the fact that she refused to wear shoes. I actually got to enjoy a lot of the evening because
my sweet little cluster feeder gave me a break.
Apparently blasting music helps her sleep because she took a really long
nap with my mom carrying her around during the dancing.
Sunday before
leaving Lunga House and heading back to Glasgow there was a hog roast that was
delicious. After everyone’s belly was
full of pig there was a tea cake eating contest which Anil and Brandon were a
terrible representation for the U.S. eating only about 4 cakes, the winner ate
11. The trip home went well too. Both girls were very good. I pathetically lost the battle of fighting
back tears about 15 miles out of Glasgow and was a blubbering mess by the time
we actually said or goodbyes.

3 comments:
Thanks girl! It was an amazing trip and I'm sure the "bad experiences" will fade soon(the Kubla Khan, trip to Lunga House,The trip home). So glad we could share this with you all!
i LOVED reading all the details of your trip. it sounds amazing and you all look so beautiful!
Wow! Train by yourself with your girls! Extremely impressed.
Post a Comment