Friday, June 1, 2012

Baby Bliss

While hanging out at my parent's house I read the most recent People magazine where Jessica Simpson talks about her recent "baby bliss" with little Maxwell (six or seven weeks old).  Breastfeeding is going great and she's gotten Maxwell on a schedule, her husband is so perfect, everything is just dreamy as a mother.  You know what I have to say to Jessica...that's a load of bull.  Motherhood with a tiny baby is not bliss it is survival.  Breastfeeding is not easy and nothing is beautiful or glamorous about it in the early weeks.  Motherhood is poop on your hands and spit up in your hair (that you just shampooed for the first time in 3 days).  It's not brushing your teeth all day and wondering if you fed the dog.  It is trying to figure out how to do everyday tasks like brush your 3 year old's teeth one handed.  It's eating breakfast at 11am when you've been up since 7am.  It's willing yourself not to cry when you've been trying to get that little baby to sleep for a couple hours and you lay her down in her bed at 10:30pm and as soon as her sweet little head hits the mattress her eyes pop open.  It's not scrubbing your toilet since the day before going to the hospital and finally deciding that the toilet takes precedence over your shower during the 20 min nap.  So yes Jessica maybe if I had a cook, maid and night nurse I would have baby bliss too, but I just don't want to read these blatant lies about how wonderful and perfect motherhood is.

Not to worry though, Jessica has broken the cardinal rule of parenting...she has bragged.  And with a baby, bragging always comes back to bite you in the ass.

For a more cheerful blog post please read below :)

1 comment:

Leah said...

Amen! Your sentiments are shared...which makes me very nervous for baby #2 one day, but you are a wonderful mommy example to follow, and completely agree about the bragging karma :) I think Jessica and Beyonce need reality checks!