Sunday, October 9, 2011

3 is still a challenge

So 3 is not the magic number that gets you past the terrible twos. For the past couple weeks Mala has turned into quite the drama queen. Every little stumble, scrape, and frustration leads to a lot of screaming. All of her shoes seem to hurt her feet, her bike helmet chokes her, brushing her teeth gags her. My gosh, I'm ready to tell her to "pull up her big girl panties and get over it." She's also got this new tone to her voice that is a wee bit on the sassy side if you get my drift. On top of all this she's just more cranky lately than she used to be, getting angry much easier and more often. I am trying to have patience, but it's wearing thin.
I consulted my good friend John Rosemund (not really my good friend, but trusted author of one of my most thumbed through books) and he feels like most of this is fairly normal 3 year old behavior and I need to stay calm and ride this out. Apparently it's harder to be a 3 year old than I thought having new fears, gaining more independence, learning all these new things at once. I can give her the benefit of the doubt on the frustrations, but the sassy tone will be coming to an end soon, as Tina Fey so wisely put it, "For I will not have that #@!%*, I will not have it." :)
So that's our past few weeks in a nutshell. Mala is angry, I am getting tired.
By the way, if you have not read Tina Fey's prayer for her daughter, google it.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Love! and love you guys too - even my favorite little drama queen. hang in there Jo - you are one of the most patient moms I know.

Mony said...

jojo,

are you really talking about my Malakutty?