Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Kumar Camping Adventure












Our first camping trip was a complete success!  We only had 1 minor setback right off the bat...my worst fear coming true.  The thing that kept me awake the night before we set off...
Mala and Anil's kayak flipped on the first rapid we hit.  I of course was watching from a small distance as all the blood drained out of me, feeling helpless.  Luckily almost immediately I saw both their heads pop out of the water and Anil grabbed Mala.  Both were wearing life jackets and we were with very experienced kayakers.  Mala was scooped out of the water, Anil swam to shore, the kayak was restored to order and we all took a deep breath and drank a round of beers to calm our nerves.  Mala enjoyed a capri sun to calm her nerves.  She was a little shaken up, but everyone was high-fiving her and telling her how awesome she was, that in no time she was feeling great and super proud of herself.  We came to find out that the first little rapid was the most difficult and Anil figured out that kayaking in a double kayak with only one person paddling doubled his work and he had to fine tune his turning a bit due to this fact. 
            After our initial hiccup things went perfectly smooth and we had lots of fun.  Meena found her peaceful happy place on the kayak and ended up sleeping through the trips down the river on both days even as we bumped along the little rapids.  I found that I truly love kayaking!
           I had been a bit nervous about how all this camping business was going to go, were the girls going to get scared when we went to bed?  Were they going to be able to pee in the woods?  Were they going to eat camp food?  It all went so well.  Our friends that we were camping with were very experienced and helped make our camping experience super easy with all their supplies they brought.  The girls had a little trouble falling asleep, but not because they were scared.  They were so excited to be sleeping in a tent that they couldn't settle down.  The sleeping was not perfect, Meena wouldn't stay in the sleeping bag, so I had to scoop her up and stuff her down in it every few hours, but for the most part we slept pretty good.
            In the morning there was coffee and our friends even brought real half and half.  We had some delicious breakfast burritos and spent the rest of the morning and early afternoon kayaking back down to our cars.  During our little trip the girls held salamanders, chased tadpoles, admired a snake, and threw rocks into the river.  They both seemed to really have a lot of fun and the only time there was a tear shed was when I had to put sunscreen on Meena.  I'm already thinking about when and where we will do our next camping trip!













1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so fun, Jo! I'm impressed!